Sunday, August 19, 2012

Stop, drop, and go!

Sorry for the lack of a post yesterday, but as I'm a college student giving you my advice as I experience each new thing, I'll be honest. I was a little overwhelmed. Yesterday was move in day for me and about 10,000 other students who will now all call this campus their home. Move in day was the equivalent of a campus Black Friday. There were more people than space, overworked helpers, and soccer moms in jeans and sneakers determined to get what they wanted. Now that I've had a little time to recover I'll give you the few tips I have to help make the move in process a little easier the next time around.

Don't be worried about what you stuff looks like. Maybe this was a personal problem, but I was worried that people would judge me for my boxes with stuffed animals, my awkward suitcase, and my overstuffed backpack. However, once your stuff is thrown on the lawn with hundreds of other people's dearest belongings it doesn't seem nearly as scary.

Next, wear comfortable clothes. I know, this is your first chance to make an appearance and to wow your fellow classmates with your style or whatever, but you're going to need to be able to haul your stuff up stairs, set up a loft, and do some overall very physical work.

Plan to go out to eat once everything is in your room. This is perhaps one of the most important things you can do. For me, going out to Pita Pit with my parents gave us a chance to decompress after a very long and stressful morning.

Make a last quick trip to Target, Wal-mart, or Pamida. This step is key. Yes, when our band of three made it through the doors of Target it looked like World War III, but there's a reason. You're going to have forgotten stuff. For me, it was a pillow, my bike, and a fan. All completely essential for campus life. All around us other's were doing the same things, buying forgotten items and stocking their carts with snacks and goodies for the rest of the year.

Me shopping at Target. Thanks for the creeper pic mom.
And don't worry! After a long day of buying stuff, and hauling stuff, and organizing stuff your day will end with a wonderful result.



No comments:

Post a Comment